Wednesday, December 15, 1999

TV Review: Buffy the Vampire Slayer: "Hush"

So I've never reviewed a TV show before. And I'm sure you've found this, you've certainly read other reviews singing the praises of "Buffy the Vampire Slayer." Last night, December 14, 1999, I saw not only the best episode of Buffy, but the best episode of any television series ever. At least that I've seen. You don't need to be a Buffy watcher to enjoy this one. In fact, I've got to try and get a hold of a taped copy to show my friends, and none of them watch the show.

In the middle of the night, the town of Sunnydale is quietly invaded by a group of terrifying hovering demons called The Gentlemen. They show up, open this tiny wooden box and suck the voices out of every inhabitant of the town. When they all wake and find they are speechless, we're only about 20 minutes into the show. The remaining 40 minutes is dialogue-free as Buffy and her gang try to figure out what's going on. Their attempts at communicating with one another are riotous and the scenes with the Gentlemen are bone-chillingly creepy. No movie or TV show has ever given me the willies like these demons did.

It is astounding what creator Joss Whedon and his cast and crew are capable of. If this episode does not earn an Emmy, I will personally be mortified. I am already kicking myself for not sticking a tape in the VCR. Ugh. If it repeats, please watch. You don't have to have ever seen a previous episode. I implore you all!!

0 comments:

Post a Comment