Thursday, February 17, 2000

Movie Review: Pitch Black

Caught a sneak of this film last night. Apparently, Pitch Black has been completed for quite some time and his been sitting on a shelf for months and months. Pretty stupid move, I think. Since reading Harry Knowles' review on Ain't It Cool News, I've been looking forward to this one with a great deal of excitement. Story-wise, I didn't know what to expect - but my expectations were fairly high nonetheless. I was not let down.

I will not reveal any plot details here other than: "small band of people need to survive scary threatening monsters." That's all you need know. It's not as good as Aliens, but then again, what is? It is, however, pure entertainment from the very beginning to the very end. The cast of fairly unknowns is excellent - and it is a pleasure to see people cast for talent rather than looks (unlike, say, Starship Troopers). I must say, any doubts I had about Vin Diesel vanished completely after this film.

Anyhow, if you're looking for a really fun time at the movies, Pitch Black is for you. If you're not looking for fun, see The Talented Mr. Ripley.

0 comments:

Post a Comment